Living in the heart of France
Favourite Vegetarian Recipes
This one's from a French recipe magazine, slightly modified to use blue cheese - Bleu d'Auvergne - instead of fresh ricotta which is not easily available.
1 tbsp olive oil
400g chestnut mushrooms
1 large shallot or medium onion
1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tsp fresh thyme
100g fromage frais with fine herbs, e.g. Boursin
20g parmesan cheese, grated
50g Bleu d'Auvergne cheese
1 roll of puff pastry
Mushroom and Cheese Tarte
1. Heat oven to 220 C.
2. Slice the mushrooms and chop the shallot/onion then fry both in the butter and oil on a high heat for 4 minutes. To maximise flavour, allow the mushrooms to brown on one side without stirring, before turning them. Then take off the heat to cool a little.
3. In a bowl, mix the Boursin and one egg until well combined. Add to this the parmesan, most of the chopped parsley and the mushrooms.
4. Unroll the pastry onto a baking tray (preferably with a lipped edge) lined with baking parchment. Turn up the edges of the pastry, pinching it to make a raised border. Spread the mixture in the centre then beat the other egg and brush onto the border of the pastry.
5. Dot pieces of the blue cheese over the filling and sprinkle over the fresh thyme.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle with reserved chopped parsley before serving.
Serves 4 people. Preparation 15 mins, cooking 15 mins.