Living in the heart of France
Favourite Vegetarian Recipes
From my ancient Cranks recipe book from 1982 (which prompted us to become vegetarian), this cake is moist and delicious.
175g carrots, finely grated
100g raw brown sugar
100g wholemeal self-raising flour
1 tsp (5ml) ground cinnamon
half a tsp (2.5ml) ground nutmeg
50g desiccated coconut
1. Grease and line the base of an 18cm square cake tin.
2. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until thick and creamy.
3. Whisk the oil in slowly, then add the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut and raisins and mix together to combine evenly.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, levelling the surface.
5. Bake in the oven at 190C for 20-25 minutes, until firm to the touch and golden brown.
6. Cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
7. For the icing, beat the butter until soft, beat in the sugar and orange rind. Spread over the cake and dot with walnuts.
For the orange icing:
75g raw pale brown sugar
grated rind of half an orange
25g shelled walnuts
We used a 17cm round tin and gave it an extra 5 minutes in the oven as it was deeper than the original recipe. For the topping, we used butter, icing sugar and a little lemon juice as we had no oranges or brown sugar left. It was even better the day after baking.