Living in the heart of France
Favourite Vegetarian Recipes
Cheesy Potato Pies
You can make this recipe up into round individual pies like in the picture, or into one large pie or, if you have one of those clever pasty-makers, make it into neat veggie versions of a Cornish pasty. Fabulous with your favourite vegetables, broccoli, carrots, peas or best of all tomatoey baked beans.
150g potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
75g Lancashire, cheddar, gruyère or feta cheese
425g ready-rolled puff pastry
1 egg, beaten.
1. Cook the potato cubes by boiling or steaming for 10-12 minutes until soft. Drain and cool.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan over low heat, fry the onion for 5-7 minutes until soft. Remove from heat, cool.
3. In a bowl combine the potato, ricotta, cheese and onion. Season well with salt & pepper.
4. Heat oven to 200C.
5. Cut out 8 discs from the pastry, about 15cm diameter. Place 4 onto baking trays and spoon one quarter of the filling into the centre of each, flattening slightly. Brush the edges of these 4 with beaten egg. Place another pastry disc on top, press the edges to seal well then crimp around the edge with your fingers.
6. Brush the tops with more beaten egg, then cook for 20 minutes until the pastry is crisp and brown.
You can add chopped herbs such as parsley or sage, or walnut pieces, or sliced spring onions or chopped sun-dried tomatoes to the filling.