Living in the heart of France
Favourite Vegetarian Recipes
Italian Bean Casserole
Hearty and warming. Any combination of your favourite beans can be used, mine are pale green flageolet and cannellini. Crusty bread recommended, for mopping up the juices.
3 tbsp olive oil
2 celery stick, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
300ml red wine
400g can chopped tomatoes
8 sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
285 ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
5 sprigs fresh thyme
410g can borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
410g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed.
1. Heat the oil and fry the celery carrot and onion for 8 minutes until starting to colour.
2. Add garlic and red wine and simmer for a few minutes to reduce the wine a little.
3. Stir in the sun-dried and canned tomatoes, the stock, oregano and thyme.
4. Bring back to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Tip in the beans and simmer for another 10 minutes. At this stage the casserole can be cooled and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
6. The casserole can be served topped with parsnips roasted and sprinkled with parmesan cheese (as shown above), or slices of halloumi cheese, fried in a little vegetable oil for 2 minutes each side.