Living in the heart of France
Favourite Vegetarian Recipes
Chilli Non Carne
Everybody loves chilli non carne - the meatless version. I printed this recipe from the BBC website, where I often go when I have a particular ingredient in mind and need inspiration of what to do with it.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1-2 tsp mild chilli powder, to taste
2 green chillis, de-seeded & chopped
250g vegetarian mince, eg. Quorn
85g chestnut mushrooms, chopped
55 ml red wine
450 ml vegetable stock
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can red kidney beans, drained
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, toss in the onion and fry for 3-4 minutes.
2. Stir in the garlic, chilli powder, green chillies, vegetarian mince and mushrooms and fry until browned.
3. Pour in the red wine and, when this has evaporated, add the stock and the tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add the kidney beans and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
5. Season to taste.
6. Serve with rice and a spoon of tomato salsa and warmed naan bread.